Choosing mandaps seems to be a really hard task for lots of people and we thought that Maz Events could give a helping hand and give some advice and guidance to people planning their #traditionalindianwedding and looking to choose a #mandap.
A mandap or wedding canopy is the focal point of every Traditional Hindu wedding ceremony. It is a sacred structure traditionally with four pillars under which the bride and groom are seated and exchange their wedding vows. The auspicious Indian wedding ceremony takes place within the confines of a mandap witnessed by the sacred havan or fire. In recent years, Mandaps and canopies have become popular other religions such as Sikhs & Muslims, but more for aesthetic effect than religious significance
Why are there 4 pillars?
The four pillars of the mandap symbolize the parents of both the bride and groom. The pillars portray the vital role that both the parents have played, in bringing up their children and without whose support, love and blessings, the marriage would not have come to take place. The wedding ceremony takes place in front of the sacred fire in the mandap, which is a witness to the wedding ceremony. Such is the symbolism of the mandap that a special ceremony is held the day before the wedding to bless the inauguration of the mandap, known as Mandap Murat, Grahshanti or Mandap Ropan
Changes in Fashion over the years
Recent popular designs have been the #roundmandap, #crystalmandaps, multi-pillar mandaps, wooden carved mandaps and #floralmandaps and swooping drapes in a multitude of colours. Other new concepts have included organic features such as trees, branches and flowers to createenchanted woodland style mandaps. Classic designs are evergreen such as carved mandaps and gold mandaps that give that rajasthani grandeur of period films like Devdas. From sleek and slender to royal and majestic, there is a mandap to suit every couple and venue. One no longer needs to think along conventional lines. A mandap that expresses your individuality is just a thought away and mandap companies will do all they can to customize their creations to your individual requirements and wedding theme.
Each year sees the emergence of stunning and innovative mandap designs on the market with coordinated accessories, backdrops, statues, candles, lighting, water features and foyer displays, all used to complement the mandap and build an all-encompassing theme. Most mandap decorators will now go out of their way to source and produce accessories that match their clients chosen wedding theme and which coordinate together to transform venues and spaces.
How to find the Mandap Of Your Dreams
It’s important to find a mandap that compliments the couple’s personality, chosen theme, the venue, the space and style of their wedding.
A great idea is creating a Pinterest board so that mandap companies start to understand your tastes. Book an appointment as soon as possible, as many mandaps tend to get booked up a year in advance.
How can you individualise your mandap?
Here are some ideas to individualise your mandap;
- Flowers are great and really fashionable element for mandap pillars and canopy. All the four pillars of the mandap can be decorated with a combination of flowers and foliage to create a variety of themes from a vintage mandap, to forest style mandap to just a classical touch of flowers on a carved mandap. All sorts of flowers can be used on a mandap and these days even silk is a nice option for really perishable flowers. Be bold choose different colours and styles to match your theme! We also advise to use seasonal flowers that are available during that time.
- Mood lighting, fairy lights, candles, chandeliers – what do you go for? Lights in any case are an essential part to mandaps indoors. Apart from enhancing the look of the mandap and accentuating the detail, it’s also extremely useful in adding more light to the area. Lights are even more magical if the ceremony is at night, which is really fashionable these days.
- Are you quite adventurous? Then what about a special bespoke mandap? As long as there are 4 chori’s somewhere you can choose more unconventional ideas such as open mandaps, dome for mandaps, water feature mandaps.
- Drapes are a good option to explore as you can create some really dramatic mandaps with drapes. Different fabrics give you different effects, so understand what you want to create. There are umpteen options and considerations?
- Do you want a whole drapey look?
- Do you want the drapes to accentuate the look of the mandap?
- Do you want drapes just for the ceiling around the venue?